Topic: Cupcake, Alcoholic, Hens, Bachelorette, Baking, Party
Nothing says “I have come to party, but in a controlled, safety-switch-on sort of way” like an alcoholic cupcake, but what says “I may even loosen my hair bun and unbutton my shirt collar” is chocolate alcoholic cupcakes.
One of my favourite recipes is an adaption of the Cookie Girls Jack Daniels from her Eat Me book. Jack Daniels is Cookie Girl’s hubby’s (say that three times fast!) favourite tipple, unfortunately I had an “incident” with Jack back in my college days and I now can’t stand the taste of it, so instead I use Southern Comfort. I think the Southern Comfort adds a smoothness which the dark chocolate compliments very nicely. And there is a bit of coke thrown in so people don’t realise I’m an alcoholic.
- 200g plain flour
- 250g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 100ml milk
- 30g yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Coke (full fat, this is no time for Coke Zero, we need the sugar)
- 110g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp Coke
- 3tbsp Southern Comfort
- 5 tbsp of black food colouring
- 100g dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 170/Gas 3 & line your 12 hole baking tray with paper cases
- Mix flour, sugar and bicarbonate in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix egg, milk, yogurt and vanilla.
- In a large pot melt the butter. Add the cocoa and Coke.
- Pour the butter mix into the flour mix and mix.
- Add the egg mix and mix.
- Pour into cupcake cases so they are 2/3 full, to allow space to rise
- Bake for 20-25 min
- Once the cupcakes are baked and cool, begin making the icing
- Sift the icing sugar and add the Coke, Southern Comfort and food colouring.
- Melt the chocolate and stir into the icing
- Working quickly before the icing solidifies, pour over cupcakes. Then decorate.
I was asked to bring some cupcakes to a sporting event recently, so I mixed these dark boozy cupcakes (for the grown-ups) in with a milk chocolate Nutella cupcakes (for the kids). They went down a treat. Although some of the kids were a little too partial to the Southern Comfort cupcakes – ones to watch in the future!