I had a birthday recently and the lovely people I work with threw me a very lovely mini birthday party with cake and prosecco, balloons and some very nice gifts as they are an amazing group of people. As a little thank you I wanted to bake them something sweet and luscious and these blondies definitely fit the bill.
I also wanted an excuse to use the brand new gorgeous food mixer that I got from my family (this was a landmark birthday hence being spoiled so much) but as this is the easiest recipe in the world you really don’t need much more than a bowl and wooden spoon but an electric whisk of some kind will definitely speed things up.
These blondies are truly delicious, dense, moist and studded with chewy dried cherries and rich white chocolate.
4 ounces butter
1 cup light soft brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup Doves Farm Gluten Free Self -Raising flour
½ cup of dried cherries (check the cherries, I almost chipped a tooth on an errant piece of stone!)
½ cup (100 grams) coarsely chopped white chocolate
Preheat the oven to 180 / Gas 4/ 350f
1. Butter an 8×8 inch baking tin and line with baking parchment
2. Melt the butter and beat it together with the brown sugar in a large bowl.
3. Once you have a smooth batter beat in egg and then vanilla.
4. Using a wooden spoon stir in the flour and the salt.
5. Stir in the cherries and the chocolate and mix until they are evenly distributed in the batter
6. Scrape the batter into prepared tin.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and set in the centre These blondies are almost like a cookie and will still be soft in the centre until they cool and become dense a fudgy.
8. Run a knife around the sides on the tin and then allow the blondies to cool int eh tin for fifteen minutes before using the baking parchment to lift them out of the tin. Allow to cool fully before cutting in to squares, to make life easy I gently flipped the cake upside down and peeled back the baking parchment before slicing. I cut these in to 1.5 inch squares as they are very rich but use your best judgement when deciding on size!