It was the bathroom project that would not end. In the length of time it took me to complete the work in this bathroom, away from the project I got pregnant, had a baby and returned to work. However, good work takes time, and this was the final flourish.
In case you have forgotten the regeneration of this bathroom from sticky pink to masculine grey involved Getting Started, Painting the Walls & Tiles and Adding Soft Furnishing and now in part four, I am adding back a little decoration to make this room less utilitarian.
For this project you will need
- a poster of a familiar picture,
- plastic frames (i used these from Ikea)
- rules, set square, pencil and scissors
The idea is to rearrange a familiar image, the way a Rubik-cube is rearranged in the middle of a game. People viewing the mixed-up image will unconsciously try to rearrange it to make sense in their minds. There were toys like this in the 80’s/90’s called sliders.
I sought a familiar image that would fit my grey colour scheme and urban theme and found the Banksy picture of a maid sweeping dirt on a pathway underneath a wall.
As the bathroom is a wet steamy place, the poster pieces will need to be encased in plastic, this is what the frames are for, and these are what will dictate the size the poster will be cut up into.
To decide how many frames I would need I laid them out on the wall, empty for the moment. I could of course measured the space, decided on the space between each, and calculated how many frames I needed, but this way leaves no room for mathematical errors.
The image I have works best if certain parts are whole, so for instance, I don’t want the maid’s face in two frames. To ensure this did not happen I laid out the frames on the poster and marked the layout.
Once the layout was established I measured the poster and laid out the grid using the ruler and set square. I then cut the poster into squares.
Each square was encased into a plastic frame which was then sealed with glue to help prevent the water getting in.
I then laid out the pattern of the image rearranged on the bed, to get a feel for how it would look.
I then stuck the frames to the wall. These hanging frames conveniently have a hole top and bottom so I choose to nail them to the wall, but you could use no more nails or something like that instead if you preferred.
And there you have it the final flourish in a bathroom project which is finally finished!